Abortion and Planned Parenthood – Komen Foundation Playing Politics

The Susan G Komen Foundation, a leading breast cancer fundraising group, suddenly cut funding to Planned Parenthood due to an investigation by the federal government into whether Planned Parenthood used federal money to fund abortions. In short they bowed to pressure from anti choice groups and in doing so the Susan G. Komen foundation has removed access to breast cancer screening and other services to lower-income women due to Planned Parenthood’s abortion stance.

Abortion, in contrast to what pro-lifers will say, is not the main focus of Planned Parenthood. Abortions account for only 3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. I find it short-sighted for the Susan G Komen Foundation to cut off funding for the other 97% of non abortion related services that Planned Parenthood provides due to pressure from pro-life groups. There is so much good that is done by Planned Parenthood such as providing contraception and counseling (so people don’t find themselves in need of an abortion), annual checkups, breast cancer screening etc… They provide all of these services at a low-cost and depending on income, free. For women who don’t have insurance or low-income Planned Parenthood is a necessity.

Are you outraged by the Susan G. Colman foundation cutting funding to Planned Parenthood?

Here are some things you can do:

Donate to Planned Parenthood and send the  acknowledgement to Karen Hadel at the Susan G Komen Foundation. This will help Planned Parenthood cover the gap left behind but the pull in funding but it will also send a message to the folks at the Susan G. Komen foundation that putting women’s lives at risk for politics is not OK. (This amazing idea came from Honora Wade on Facebook.)

Karen Handel, Senior VP
Susan G. Komen Foundation
P.O. Box 650309
Dallas, TX 75265-0309

Fill out the MoveOn.org petition and tell the Susan G. Komen Foundation that they should stop playing politics with people’s lives.

 

 

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published.