Back in March we got 6 adorable little chicks they have grown and are now currently living on our deck. Finally over the weekend we started building them some more permanent lodging. I looked at many coop designs for many months (check out my Coop Ideas Pinterest board) and finally decided on the Garden Coop.
It had the space that our ladies needed and a great look. We purchased the plan and over the last two weeks we’ve been slowly gathering all of our materials. The only thing we haven’t been able to get is the plastic panels for the roof. This is where we may modify the plan a little bit and just make it a hardware cloth roof.
It took us about 5 hours over two days to get the entire run framed, including the door. The kids, especially my oldest, were a big help. This provided them with an opportunity to learn about measuring, using tools and construction in general. Currently the frame is sitting under tarps on our driveway waiting for a coat of preservative.
Next weekend we will prepare the site and hopefully get some friends to help us get it in place. After that we have the hen-house to build into it, hardware cloth to run and then finally the chickens will have an awesome place to live.