We live in a small town, the borough itself has a population of 5400. To be fair we actually live on the edge of that small town just outside the borough but close enough to enjoy all of the benefits. I was talking to a friend last night about the joys of living where I do, here are five things I love about my town.
- We can bike into town. – We used to walk but we can now bike into town and have access to everything we need and it’s completely walkable. That brings me to #2
- Everything we need is in town (except a movie theater). – We have a grocery store and a co-op, tons of restaurants and many amazing other shops owned by local shop keepers. We can do all of our daily shopping right in town.
- I’m bound to run into someone I know. – This is one of my favorite things. I love going grocery shopping and bumping into friends or visiting a local shop and chatting with the shop keeper. Often these run-ins lead to spending time togeterh at a local coffee shop or playground. I value the spontinaity of it all.
- There are tons of amazing community events. – Out town always has something going on. We have arts festivals, movie festivals, food festivals, second saturyday celebrations. If you’re bored and go into town you’ll always be able to find somethig to do.
- There’s a wonderful sence of connectedness and community. – There is a wonderful sences of community here. People make an effort to shop at local stores, are concerned about eachother and the town as a whole. Along with the various classes and events that take palce in our community center friends are developing a time bank so that we can share our skills with eachother.
When I was younger I moved several times and could never quite understand how my husband was content that he had only lived in one place growing up, now I understand.